Monday, August 18, 2008

Working today, plus a couple computer questions...

I've been working on a couple of paintings all day and am finally - at 7:39 pm - making myself take a break.

As always, I'm working on a couple of pieces simultaneously. One of them I've already shown on here, another is about twice the size of that one (really, it's huge), and a third is one that I've just about given up hope on ever feeling satisfied with. I'm thinking about just doing whatever it takes to get that one looking decent and then calling it done.

I often get like that about my work - I get really excited about a piece, dive in head-first, and then finish up in a hurry. I always envision it looking a lot different, which is kind of destructive - no piece is EVER going to turn out how I had envisioned when looking at that blank canvas. I'm trying every day to just abandon that vision with some things and just let them go where they may. It's odd, I've had a few that literally look NOTHING like my initial sketch. Some have even had their biggest elements and focal points altogether removed, and one in particular started out with no view of the sky, and now the sky is the biggest part of the piece.

One of the pieces I'm working on, however, is just the CHORE of my work right now. It's going well, actually - I'm sticking to what works in terms of color and perception, doing things like making sure that things further away in the picture are cooler (more toward the blue/purple side of the color wheel) than those nearest, making sure the sky is at least a little lighter than the water, regardless of the color, and making an odd corner( where one corner is light whereas the others are dark, warm vs cool, etc) and all that jazz. Problem is I've just not gotten INTO it.

I think there's one thing that everyone considers a chore when they're working. In insurance, it was these stupid little things we called "pendings", which I swear to GOD sent me into full-blown panic attacks so many times, I probably sent my shrink's kids to private school through my bills. I admit, I let those suckers pile up because I HATED doing them. I just didn't see the value in them, and in my opinion, they just made more work for everyone. But hey, no one asked me to run that place, and they do things pretty well without my own two cents, so I will concede that they DO know what they're doing. They're just not going to give ME panic attacks anymore.

As for the painting, no, it's not giving me panic attacks. Actually, nothing has ever given me a panic attack with this kind of work. I've gotten a little stressed and stayed up til 4 am to attack a deadline, and I've wanted to throw more than a couple of canvases out the window because I made them an absolute mess. This particular painting just needs to get done, and I'm not jumping into it quite as hard as I have with most others. I think once I get over a specific "hump" with it - getting the current layer of paint to dry so that I can put certain colors on top of it without risking colors blending together, as well as finally figuring out what color to make the water - I might get a little more excited about it. I'm hoping it'll turn out like that.

So even though I hate doing it, here ya go. The in-progress.


Took me forever to figure that out, it was done with a camera phone...Which leads me to a couple of computer questions. Anyone who knows what to do, please post or send me an email at harringtonmolly (at...gmail) - hope that avoids the spambots.

1. How do I set up a blackberry curve to transfer pictures directly via USB on a mac? I can only figure out how to do it via MMS.
2. I'm having a problem that I can't seem to find the answer to...every so often, my computer won't let me quit an application, even with force quit. I have to power the computer down and then restart. It seems to happen most often with Photoshop, Firefox, iTunes or iPhoto.
oh, and I'm running a Macbook Pro 2.2 Ghz Intel Core 2 duo, 2 GB mem, 667 MHz, and I'm running Leopard that's all up to date.

No comments: