Friday, August 15, 2008

Call for subject matter, help an artist out

I'm kind of in a bit of a block these days, and though I'm working through it - I HAVE stuff to do, I just usually have stuff planned in my head that I'm excited to get started doing. Right now, however, I have no exciting thing to paint or draw on the horizon.

I also got a random inspiration from my friend Claire this week, she had inquired about a painting that featured a field of poppies that I had done a while back, which I had unfortunately (for Claire) sold already. I took it as my motivation to paint more poppies - unlike many artists, I don't mind painting what I think will sell. I like doing what I do, and within reason, I will do just about anything. Claire's inspiration is now a nice little watercolor that I'll post later in the week.

So I discovered that I liked getting some input from my friends as to WHAT to paint. Anyone have any ideas? Better yet, send me pictures. I'll sign a couple sketches and send them to the winner, and you get first crack at purchasing the final result if I select your image.

PLEASE SEND ME STUFF! My email is my last name and then my first name, all one word, all lower case, @gmail.com. Hope this avoids the spammers, but as you know, my last name is harrington, my first name is molly. Please put "submission" in the subject line. Send me a LINK to the image - no downloads. I don't have the space on my computer and I don't want to tempt that whole Macs-don't-get-viruses theory. You can host the image for free at Photobucket or Picasa and get a link, holler if you need help.

Couple of rules that I have to state, even though all are HIGHLY unlikely:
1. You must have taken the picture. You may also use an image taken by someone you know in person, but the original photographer/owner of the image must be willing to send me an email that allows me to use the image as reference material.
2. I reserve the right to copyright derived work, without credit or payment to you. Any credit or payment (title credit, sketches given to you, etc) are purely given as gifts with no monetary value.
3. I will retain image rights on any sketches and/or final painting/product. If you become the owner of the artwork, you may not reproduce or photograph the work without my permission. I reserve the right to publish your original image solely as a reference and accompanied by the final artwork.
4. Any persons depicted in images will be rendered as minor subjects (i.e. blurred, shape only) and not in a portrait style.
5. For my own and YOUR own safety, do not send me any of the following: bad stuff with kids, illegal images, images depicting illegal activities, etc. If I receive any of it, I will hand over the image, your email and IP addresses, as well as your ISP provider, to any authority that will listen, purely because I can't beat the crap out of you myself. Don't test me on this one, really.

Other than that, anything goes. People, places, things, animals, vegetables, minerals. Whatever you find interesting, be it the color, the object, the shape...the possibilities are endless. :)

2 comments:

Mel said...

Hmmm, I was going to work on my photography this weekend cause I finally have free time so this is good movitation for me to think outside the box (or inside if I find something good ).

m said...

I really liked that third picture of Melissa's from her adventures blog...