Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Day Three of no TV, a night at a mexican cantina, and a watercolor disaster.


Day three of the TV turn-off...so far, so good. I thought about turning on Oprah for about five minutes today, but decided to get some stuff done instead. Other than that, I haven't touched it, I'm very proud of myself. Granted, the world could very well have been invaded by poisonous vicious unicorns today, and I am not one bit the wiser, but I'll take that chance.

I had no problem with Day Two, hence the fact that I didn't post other than the whole childbirth thing. I spent most of yesterday working on a drawing, ran some errands, went running (I'm on day 12 - haven't missed one yet!) and then went out with the NoVA boy and his friends for his birthday. It was a lot of fun, we went to a cantina over in the Passyunk section of South Philly, which I had not actually been to previous, despite living within walking distance for the past year. I had two very very weak but delicious blackberry margaritas, enough Mexican food to be full-but-not-crammed, and it was quite the lovely night to stroll around South Philly, I must say. On a very funny note, I got a voicemail morning from a friend of mine this morning. It said: "I SAW YOU outside your house last night getting into a car - I didn't run across the street to say hello because you looked like you were on a date with a guy...or I thought you might be. Drove (X) kind of car and looked a lot like (A certain Celebrity's Name Here) and he looked very nice in an orange tie". Since she had the tie and car exactly right, she DID see us, I guess. I googled the pictures of the celebrity (I could only think of one particular image of him in my head) and I DO see the resemblance, a little bit, at least, and given this celebrity's reputation in the business, I'd consider it a compliment if I were him. I'm not saying who it is just yet because I'm going to try to get him to guess who it was since he reads this from time to time.

We got back from the cantina a little late, so I did NOT miss any TV. Today, though, I slept on the couch for a while and I missed the TV, because I love sleeping on the couch with the TV on. I brought some watercolors downstairs and worked on a painting, which I TOTALLY screwed up. I'm going to wait for it to dry, then trace the image (it took me forever to get it composed right, I am NOT going to let that drawing go to waste) and then try again tomorrow using some masking fluid to work out some problems with the color. Since I usually work with oils or pastels, watercolor is a bit of a shock sometimes - you REALLY have to think before you put ANYTHING on the paper, because it won't come off once it's there, and there's really no way to make an area lighter in color if you accidentally make it too dark. I haven't done too much with watercolor before, but I'm trying to get it to work just to make me better overall and help me to keep a "less is more" mentality while I'm doing other media.

Yeah right, like Molly will ever learn that one - Less is More. Pshyeah.

No comments: