Thursday, August 7, 2008

I'm getting old.

I'm getting old - I'm turning the TV off, turning old music on, complaining about my aching joints, trying to eat healthy, and minding my weight from a non-vanity standpoint. And oh yeah, I almost forgot...I'm forgetting things.

Get it? HA. I'm telling bad jokes too. Give me three days and I'll have a Golden Girls haircut.

So yes, that's what I've noticed in the hour I've been awake.

Turning the TV off (day four): Still wanted to watch it. I admit, I watched about five minutes fo the Today show, but after five minutes of a tribute to Jill Rappaport's dog, Jack, who just passed away, I realized that if I'm gonna cheat (or hell, if I'm gonna watch TV period), I might as well make it worth it. My condolences to Ms Rappaport, I just don't really have any interest in the segment on a news program.

Turning Old Music On: I don't know how I got into this, but I downloaded just about the entire catalogs of Sam Cooke and Otis Redding. I think that when I get married, I want one of those cover bands that do all of those Motown and Soul songs to play, like on Animal House. I went to a wedding once where one played and I swear I've never had so much fun in my whole life.

Complaining about my aching joints: My knee hurts :(. It's one of those pains that I KNOW isn't anything serious, just a signal that I'm out of shape. My teeth hurt too, but it's probably because I haven't been to the dentist in a billion years.

Trying to eat healthy: I got up this morning and had some Honey Nut Chex and Strawberry Chex, both of which should just be called High Fructose Corn Syrup and/or Sugar Chex. There's only a negligible amount of honey, nuts and/or strawberries. I'm fairly certain that bit'o'honey candy bars and Strawberry Shortcake Dolls have more natural ingredients than these do. Now I feel ill. I'm a little cranky at myself for starting the day out badly like that.

Minding my weight from a non-vanity standpoint: I rarely, if ever, get on the scale, as I really only have one rule - as long as my clothes fit, I'm fine. I don't want to get obsessive about numbers, because they don't mean anything. Even BMI means relatively little - according to those measurements, professional athletes are obese. So my scale basically sits under my bathroom cabinet and does nothing for 364 days a year. My roommate commented the other day that she noticed that she lost weight, however, so I got curious and pulled out the scale. And I remembered why my scale is so stressful. I compare it to scoring figure skating - you throw out the high and low scores, and the middle 5 are averaged. Seriously - there's a TWELVE POUND range on this thing, and I bought it because it said it was super-ACCURATE! Anyway, I did lose a little, and since my doctor might yell at me next time I see her, I'm going to call a nutritionist (hey, it's insured) and see if they can advise me on how to gain a few and enjoy it without a) going overboard and b) having it all go straight to my thighs. We'll see.

I'm forgetting things: I talked to Melissa over email yesterday about her trip to Greece (DG Melissa, not roommate Melissa) and I had told her that I'd recommend a hotel in Santorini, which I'm still working on finding. It was SUCH a great hotel, the woman was really nice, it was central to everything and it was only about 40 Euros a night, which is UNHEARD OF in Santorini - DURING THE OLYMPICS. The only drawback (hence the price) was that it didn't have a view from the Caldera, which is a little overrated, in my opinion. You have to lug all of your luggage down the hill or hire a donkey (no cars, it's all alleyways), then you're right on top of another room and another hotel on a slightly less-than-vertical cliff for hundreds of feet. The hotel we stayed at is at the TOP of the Caldera, near a good restaurant, has a pool, air conditioning, and most importantly - takes reservations. If you go to the Greek Isles, you'll find that Greece, for being one of the earliest, most civilized countries on Earth, does NOT like to plan a lot. You just go with the flow. They make Jamaica look like Manhattan. Anyway, I can't remember the name of this hotel for the LIFE of me, and neither does my sister. I almost called Let's Go to ask what it was they recommended that year, but I KNOW I'll eventually remember it. At this point, it's not so much to help Melissa (though I do want to get it to her), it's more for my own sanity that I figure this damn thing out.

Okay, off to coffee.

2 comments:

Carrie Davis said...

Why did you pick the week the olympics are starting to not watch TV????

Carrie Davis said...

ooops, nevermind, just read the original post about boycotting the olympics....