Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Writing a blog is like potato chips: you can't stop at one.

I'm using this as my "catch-all" blog for a while. As you can tell, it's got Art, Writing, Dogs, Dating, Funny Stories, Dumb Stuff Molly Does, Stuff Molly Rants About, and all kinds of stuff. But as you may have noticed in the blogosphere, most successful blogs have a narrow focus. Since this is was started because I was bored, continued because my editor wanted to see a larger portfolio, and will primarily continue in the future to amuse my friends, I'm going to be branching out in several smaller blogs that can target specific audiences. My editor is weighing what I'm best in, both in writing style and attention-grabbing abilities.

What does this mean for you? Nothing, actually. I'm still doing this in the same manner. I'm just taking my drafts (I have 234 drafts on here that have never been published for various reasons) and building on them on a separate space.

What are the other blogs going to be about? That's up in the air. I'm a woman of many brain cells. I've been trying to be unique about it (the world does not need another blogger who thinks they're the Female Version of Tucker Max, nor another "independent-leaning" political commentator) and I'm trying to just not have the damn thing taken so seriously. Because really - if you're using my blog or any other as your sole source of news and/or opinion, I suggest you stop. Half of everything I say is with a heaping dose of sarcasm, and I have not yet found the article in the Little, Brown Handbook on how to properly denote sarcasm in the written word. Finally, I want to have things that I find inherently interesting. If I could write about stuff I find mundane and boring, I'd have pursued my initial Newspaper Journalism major a lot further than Freshman Year.

So here's what I'm coming up with - would you read any of these?
-In the Hall, with the Lead Pipe: Giving ole Colonel Mustard a voice. He's got a good point of view, and has only three goals in this world: get food, get snuggling, get walked. And he deals with my crap on a daily basis, which is more than I can say for most.
-Blog Boy, I am in love with you.: I have been surfing blogs and have developed insane crushes on a few boys that blog. Odd, because they're sort of celebrities, but not really. I would be willing to say that I find a new one every day. Thinking of offering a $100 reward if someone sets me up on a date with one of them.
-The Daily Crackhead: I have numerous crackheads outside my house in Philly. Their lives are shouted at 3 am for all to hear, and it's more entertaining than the Young and The Restless.
-Confessions of a Hypochondriac: WebMD is the worst thing ever invented. The Today Show tells me of a condition of which I am positive that I am a victim almost every day. My headaches, turned into brain tumors. Just about every day.
-Dear Reality Star: My commentary on dumb reality shows. Because really, Lauren Conrad, I know better. I just want to help you get your shit together.
-Craigs List Treasure of the Day: I love that site. It's endless entertainment.

I could go on and on, but I need to get to work on some paintings.

2 comments:

Mel said...

Sadly, I would probably read all of those....I am addicted to blogger now! It is so sad, yet so fun! I want to make more blogger friends so I will have more funny and/or interesting stories to read.....I get mad when people don't post for days and days (HINT HINT!) When you do figure out which ones you are going to write be sure to let me know...people make fun of me cause I have more than one blog but that is ok..it is fun and some parts of my life I want to keep separate from others!

Drena said...

reality, dog, craigslist, and blog boy