Thursday, May 22, 2008

Twitter trivia answer and bonus related Delta Gamma trivia

I've been asked by a couple of random people about my recent twitter entry:

Trivia question: what's the connection between University of Georgia's fight song and mother's day?


Answer?

Julia Ward Howe is credited as being the first person to declare a "Mother's Day" in her Mother's Day Proclamation, written in 1870 as a form of protest against the violence of the Civil War that had resulted in thousands of mothers having lost their sons.

Howe also wrote the words to William Steffe's "Battle Hymn of The Republic", a popular song among both Union and Confederate supporters in the Civil War. Steffe's tune was later used for the University of Georgia's fight song, "Glory, Glory". Had it not been for Howe's words making the tune popular, Georgians might not have ever adopted it as their fight song.

Bonus form of trivia for Delta Gammas: When I lived in Boston, I helped the Boston University chapter out with rush (sorry y'all, I just can't call it recruitment, it sounds so...corporate), and one of their biggest Service for Sight activities was working for the Perkins School for the Blind - Helen Keller's alma mater - about 12 blocks from my old house. Perkins was founded by Julia Ward Howe's father and her children were instrumental in making service for the blind Delta Gamma's official philanthropy.

Yes, I know, my Service for Sight hours were sparse, at best. In retrospect, I wish I had done more stuff like that instead of insisting on graduating in exactly four years. Taking 18 hours and 2 independent studies my last semester was probably the dumbest mistake eeeeeevvvvverrrrrr.

No comments: