Thursday, April 24, 2008

Writing feedback - from the real deal. Yikes.

Some people know this already, but one of the biggest reasons I'm writing this blog is because I'm working with an editor/coach who works with freelance writers to get their portfolios and writing to a publish-able level. The theory is that the internet provides publishing houses with a clearer view of your own internal editing skills, your own self-marketing skills and an audience's reaction to your writing. It helps me to strengthen my work and pimp myself out since I can command a better deal after I've already established an audience and it all but eliminates the need for things like focus groups and primary marketing research - yes, I'm helping to render the skills taught in my advertising major obsolete.

My e-meeting today was feedback on what I've written on here and on my other (paying) blog writing. While it was very complimentary and "I'm so relieved that I don't need to send you to a grammar improvement seminar" (I kept thinking of the National Grammar Rodeo in Canada, for all you Simpsons fans out there), he did give me this task to work on. And it's a doozie.

"Molly, you're good at telling a story, but you need to push the envelope, because how you feel about stuff isn't coming across other than 'i love this or that'. The mommyblogs are great at writing about shit they love and butterflies and what happened last night on Life According to Jim. People aren't looking for that. I need you to put some grit in, take a stand and talk about stuff that you're not fucking happy as a clam about. Gas is $4 a gallon, people want to hear a rant and rave every now and then to know they're not alone. Stir some shit up, for crying out loud. Even if they hate what you say, they're still reading it."

And that's a quote. Yes, he said I can put that in. I didn't realize I was so fluffy, but fine. I can take a stand. After I called him to talk some of the points out, I did learn some better direction. I was kind of afraid of offending people inadvertently - that is, by them taking it out of context and not getting what I was REALLY saying. So I avoided the whole thing instead. Solution: "well then, make your writing say what you want to say and avoid the miscommunication, not the actual communication."

So. More rants, less raves. If you read my next post and are offended, I'm sorry. It's just my opinion, backed up with factual observations. That being said, feel free to blast me with "Molly, you're full of it!"

I promise not to cry.

***Edit- oh gosh, I got ten emails - he wasn't talking about anyone who reads or is connected with my stuff with the mommyblog comment! He was talking about a couple blogs ("mommyblogs" is a term they use, even if they don't have kids) in particular that are kind of famous out there who are loaded full of saccharine and stuff I'll pick on later. See? I am not coming across how I want. For the record, I love hearing about babies that I know of, or about my friends' families. And yes, he's a little harsh - he's a New Yorker. He's just trying to pull stuff out of me that's already there, just having a hard time occasionally coming out. It was a hard lesson to learn once that if you're writing for people who don't know you, it's a lot harder to keep them interested - y'all who know me from the 'burg and from college and thereafter know me and therefore know what I'm getting at when I say something, but Jane or Joe Schmoe doesn't, so I have to deliver it, dammit!***

3 comments:

Terri said...

HELL YEAH! Bring on the ranting, baby... might even inspire me to do some ranting of my own!

Mel said...

hmmm...so what does that say about me cause I liked your writing...I don't mind ranting either though....I always like to hear other people's point of view...

Drena said...

I like your writing too. Ranting sucks a little to me because I feel like people bitch and complain enough. Can't we have a blog or two out there pointing out the good in the world even if it is free wifi at ING? It's the little things, right?