Tuesday, April 29, 2008

My studio...

When I first got this place, I was PUMPED. Our house is a typical Philadelphia rowhouse (feel free to type my address in and see it on Google streetview for all you who know me on a personal level), and while it has four floors (including the scary basement), it's only 10 feet wide - so there's some odd spaces. The house technically has three bedrooms, but the third looks somewhat like the bedroom that Scarlett Johanssen had in The Nanny Diaries - it's tiiiiiiny. So we shelled out a little more money, I got an extra room for the studio, and my lovely roommate got the parking space. It was great for a while - we had an extra room AND parking, which is literally unheard of in Center City. But after a while, the art career demanded more stuff, and my 10'x7' space is now in dire need of a rehaul, to say the least. How small is it? Here's some pictures:

It even looks bigger in these pics than it really is. Yes, I'm sorry it's a mess, but clutter is kind of an occupational hazard.

Anyway, since I'm zero good at interior design, does ANYONE have any ideas on how to make this space more usable? I've researched it - there are almost NO helpful websites on how to revamp an artist's studio, especially when you're a renter. Here's my requirements:

1. I'm not willing to downsize on the easel. It's my grandmother's and I need it that big and sturdy.
2. I need to be able to get a drawing table/flat surface in there.
3. I'd love to get some sort of way to get all of my art books organized and handy for reference. Right now they kind of take a backseat to materials, and I have little space to display anything. 4. Most importantly, I need to have my materials handy, and NOT put away in drawers.
5. I need to have some sort of "flat file" storage.
6. That black shelving unit can go (anyone want to help in exchange for taking that from me? it's actually from Potterybarn, I found it just sitting on the curb - rich people throw away all kinds of good stuff), but the stuff on it needs to get organized somehow.
7. I have almost NO money. I work in trade!

Finally, most will notice the deep red color - the landlord will pay for paint and materials if I want to paint it, but I can't afford to lose more than a day in the studio - and it would take a couple days if I did it on my own. If anybody in Philly (or anywhere else!) wants to partake in a painting party, I will provide dinner and beer in exchange for some good old-fashioned LABOR!

If you feel this is a designer-worthy challenge and you submit me to Oprah and Nate Berkus shows up, please be advised: I will attack him and force him to go straight for me.

1 comment:

Terri said...

too funny! I'm watching House Hunters, and this couple is checking out a rowhouse in Philly! HA! Good luck organizing. Sounds like it would be a fun project. If I were closer, I'd so come in and give my two and a half cents!