Sunday, April 27, 2008

I've laid grout, tile and mirror with this guy, he gets a plug


I took a class last fall with the amazingly talented Isaiah Zagar. I'm no mosaic-ist, but I live next door to the Philadelphia Magic Garden and decided it might be a good idea to stimulate creativity, meet people, create some new veins of artwork, all of the above...who knew, I had money burning a hole in my pocket, and it seemed a good way to spend it. It was an experience I can't even explain...but I'll try in a later post. I met some great people in all kinds of creative mindsets. A graphic designer, a couple who owned some sort of paint-your-own-pottery place, one was trying to integrate murals into her work in the Camden County Community Gardens, and - my favorite - a fashion designer based out of Philly. If you're like me - and by "like me" I mean "watches reality television like it's her job" - you may know him...

Jay McCarroll, the enormously talented winner of Season One of Project Runway.

Jay and I spent two days with about 15 others making a big old mosaic mural in a warehouse space in South Philly (Sidebar: part of Zagar's genius must lay in the fact that he somehow has people pay him to do his work...how can I swing that?), and while working, Jay, his sister and I had a grand old time eating Italian deli sandwiches, chatting, gossiping about the state of Britney Spears, and generally creating and contributing toward our collective artistic madness.

Anyway, I ran into him the other night on Walnut Street. Of course, it was right after my roommate and I had cried over a few glasses of wine and conversations about boys, so I got a nice little "Molly, are you okay?". Yes, Jay, I'm fine.

But since I love supporting Philly artists, great design and nice people who cure a hangover by singing "Me Against the Music" to me on rainy, cold October mornings while watching cement mix, Jay gets a free plug.

Jay just launched a new website with cute stuff for sale, has a new film in the Philadelphia Film Festival and has a blog to update you on the hystericalness of it all.

Go check it out...

PS - The picture really has nothing to do with Jay other than the fact that it was taken during Isaiah's workshop. Seriously, that's the guy's HOUSE. Every square INCH of that place is covered in his work.

2 comments:

Terri said...

Holy shit.. that's totally cool, man! I love Jay! You should have him design something for you since you gave him a free plug! heehee Molly, you are one cool chic that I wish that I had been talented enough to be! Don't get me wrong, I love my life, but damn... reading your blogs is kind of like watching a little artsy sitcom or something. LOVE IT! Also am digging your new layout. I'm trying to get on AIM so we can chat at some point. I know you'll understand my "sorrows" of deployment. That's the thing... no one truly understands unless they've been thru it...

Drena said...

Project Runway Rocks....It's Fierce.