Saturday, September 20, 2008

Question for the masses...

I swear, I've started maybe 1,000 posts on here and never finished them! I know, I'm slacking.
First, I did go to my high school reunion, and yes, it was a shitshow. I highly recommend going to yours, because really - the mean people did turn out to be a hot mess. I was rather surprised to find a few people turned out to be absolute knockouts and success stories as well. I'll post some pictures later.

I have an idea and hope maybe I could get some feedback from my readers here...

I've been noticing a lot of people who genuinely WANT to own original art but are a little dismayed by the cost. I'm all for putting prices where I can get stuff in the hands of people who really want to own it, but after a while, yes, the cost of making work gets in the way. It's not just the actual cost of the materials and support, it's also sales tax, broker's fees, commissions, etc. It adds up. I wish I could just give it away, but yes, Molly's gotta make a living.

SO - here's my idea. I'm tossing around doing one 8"x10" painting a day, almost a painting sketch, on hardboard that doesn't need a frame (but can be framed if one would like, at cost plus 5% tax) and setting the price at $100 each. Prints can be purchased for around $35, matted, and greeting cards can be purchased for $15 for a set of 10. Prints and greeting cards will be signed and numbered by the artist. All paintings, regardless of their state of being sold or not, will be displayed in an online gallery, so if a painting is sold, a client can always order prints or greeting cards.

I'm figuring this might make original art a little more accessible. Here's my theory: you get your photograph taken by a photographer, order prints and after framing, that 8"x10" space on your wall is about $100 to fill, regardless of oil vs photograph. Original art tends to go up in value as the artist ages (and God Forbid, kicks the bucket), so it's even an investment!

Would you go for something like this? What do you think?

1 comment:

jayandcourtney said...

sounds like a good idea to me, even if i am the only one to respond!