Tuesday, September 2, 2008

The Business of Being Born

I know I've said things before about what I'll do when I have kids, and I always said that I'd be the first lining up for that epidural. Before ANY of you read this, please know that I'm speaking exclusively from my own opinion for myself, if and when I have children - I tip my hat at anyone who gives birth, and all of your children are beautiful and happy and I know that all of you did and will be doing what is best for you - I think you're all smart people and are better judges of your situation than I, or anyone else is. And yes, I know I'm not gonna be a happy camper regardless and that I'll probably be like "yeah, I was wrong" when I'm in the situation...but I think I changed my mind.

Last night I saw a documentary called "The Business of Being Born", which was produced by Hairspray's own Ricki Lake. When someone told me "every woman should watch this movie", I was a little skeptical. But they were right. I was shocked at how different childbirth is in the United States vs anywhere else in the world, as well as certain statistics.

Some shocking statistics:
-Midwives attend to the majority of all births in Japan and Europe.
-Midwives attend to less than 1% of those in the US.
-The US has the highest levels of infant trauma, newborn death and death of mothers in childbirth in any developed nation.
-The traditional "on the back" childbirth position is proven to be the most painful position in which to deliver a child and tearing and/or episiotomies were virtually unheard of before this position became the norm.
-Until the 1950's and 1960's, twilight birth was common, in which mothers would simply not remember the pain as they were under twilight sedation. In twilight births, mothers were literally strapped to tables and stirrups for days. Maternity wards more often looked like insane asylums, with patients in straightjackets and blindfolded, left to lay in their own waste. Despite misgivings about the side effects of such drugs, Pitocin and epidural drugs were introduced almost solely because patients were demanding any alternative to twilight birth.
-Births by Caesarean are ten times more likely determined to be "necessary" at two times of day: 4 pm and 10 pm - right before the ends of the doctors' shifts.
-99% of doctors will never see a natural childbirth.
-The rise of Pitocin used to induce labor has risen at exactly the same rates as that of Autism and ADD in children.
-Vaccuum Assistance in childbirth can easily suppress the hormone in the baby that makes the baby search for and feel safe with its mother immediately after childbirth.
-Oxytocin (the hormone that surges immediately after childbirth that forms maternal bonds) can be greatly suppressed by the drugs that are administered to "assist" in labor.

Seriously, though, I was amazed at the whole thing and can't believe it changed even MY mind. Watch the video. If you want a link, give me a shout.

4 comments:

Carrie Davis said...

really, 99% of doctor's will never see a natural childbirth? I find that stat really, really high. I know I opted for the drugs, but I know a couple of people that didn't.

if you are intersted in this stuff, check out this book - http://www.amazon.com/Birth-Surprising-History-How-Born/dp/0802143245/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1220385466&sr=8-1

It's good, I read it before I had Charlotte.

m said...

I have to say, I know quite a few people who have also done natural (sometimes I feel in the minority for having used them). I am guessing they are throwing in every single doctor (ie dermatologist, etc) not just obs' in that stats.

Mollypants said...

I did find it out - the doctor statistic is about all doctors, but all doctors are required to do at least a 6 months rotation in Labor & Delivery in Med school. Also, when they're saying a completely natural in this context, I think they were referring to more than just refusing epidural or pitocin - also includes no IV drip (most hospitals require at least a saline drip in case they HAVE to give you something or have to intervene for a c-section without having to start the IV) and no electronic monitoring. I'm thinking when they say "natural", they're meaning "crunchy", but I can see the benefits of the crunchy side too I guess...I know that if I had that option available sitting on the tray but I was having to just refuse it, it might be much harder than just to take the knowledge ahead of time that there's no drugs available unless there's an emergency, because the natural that they're describing was more geared toward a birthing center or homebirth. I don't want to have a kid in the middle of the kitchen floor, but I DO know how filthy hospitals are after working insurance for a few. It's probably more sanitary to give birth in a gas station bathroom than in some hospitals, it's scary. I'll check out the book, I just stumbled on the documentary, so I don't know how in depth I'll get into it. I can't even get a date, let alone have the need to make childbirth decisions!

Mollypants said...

Oh, and I did ask my authority on childbirth - my mom. She said that out of all 6 pregnancies, she only got one demerol - with my older brother. Other than that, her labor was so quick, she couldn't even get the epidural. I didn't ask about tearing/episiotomies (don't want to know) but she did say that she agreed with the fact that when I came along (I was #2), she was markedly surprised by the euphoric high that they speak of with the oxytocin hormone release. Since I was the first completely natural child she had, she said that comparatively speaking, she might tend to agree with the drugs decreasing at least HER level of the hormone that's released. That or I'm just the favorite :)
That being said, I'm sure you both would agree it's not like you didn't want to look at your babies, quite the opposite, it's probably just different from person to person and maybe the difference between being drunk and REALLY drunk...just semantics, you still got the buzz going ;)