Thursday, June 26, 2008

Contest! Guess the magazine

I liked Meghan's little contest regarding their recent gift subscription of Garden & Gun, so I thought I'd hold one of my own. By the way, I read two complete issues of G&G while in Charlotte, and it is, in fact, a very good magazine. This magazine isn't quite so clever with the title, but it's a good magazine nonetheless. I recently re-subscribed (my friends don't randomly send me magazine subscriptions like the Holbrooks do, but then again, the Holbrooks' friend who sent them that one is certainly a unique person, so I'm guessing that relatively few people out there get such unique gifts!) to this magazine after letting it lapse for a few years, and my newest issue has made me thankful I decided to give myself 12 months of reading fun.

Here's some hints:
-It has recipes (let's be honest - I'm not really going to use them), reviews of restaurants and events for a very big geographic area, great photographic essays, and in-depth articles on current events from their own perspective.
-I was DELIGHTED to see this month's cover.
-There's a great piece this month from the perspective of a soldier who served in Iraq.
-I immediately ran out and bought a book about books after reading its review in the magazine. Literally put the magazine down and went to Borders.
-Fashion is a little sparse, but I'm dying to know who makes a certain pair of shoes I saw in a photograph accompanying one of the stories.
-One of the most entertaining articles I read this month was about the anniversary of a film closely tied to the magazine's demographic. This film was passed down in my sorority in the annual senior wills, though I suspect relatively few will admit they've ever seen the film.

Any guesses? I feel like this is an easy one for people who know me.

The prize is pretty good on this one!

4 comments:

Drena said...

Southern Living? Is the film Mystic Pizza? I'm not sure if Mystic Pizza had something to do with our sorority or another one, but that and the rain woman video were the only two I could remember.

Mollypants said...

No, but its a good guess! Side note, why is Southern Living writing about Mystic Pizza? I though that movie was about a town in Connecticut?

Drena said...

I've never seen Mystic Pizza so I had no idea where it was set.

Mel said...

I also thought of the movie Rain Woman but then the obvious choice would be Maxxim or Playboy to me and those seem too easy...right?

Mystic Pizza was about Sigma Kappa ....I watched it with a girl on my hall freshman year who was a simga kappa and it was not good...don't watch it!