Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Getting my money's worth out of $75 in (mostly) organic food

I went to Whole Foods last night to invest in food to start my little toxic cleanse...



Yes, that's what $75 buys you these days in Organic Foods. Only about 3 or 4 things were not organic, and except for the bananas, all of the produce is local. I could still knock part of that out by going to the Farmers Market (or accepting Sarah's offer of produce when I get home - never had it, but from what I remember, her house is quite possibly the closest thing to God's personal farm that you'll ever see!), so I actually think I shopped pretty well. Yes, I could have done without the $7 frozen pizza, the $6 crab & artichoke dip, the $9 gallon of protein juice-y stuff, and baby bananas at $1.99/lb when the real ones are 79cents/pound, but...baby steps, people, baby steps. Plus, that whole chicken is organic - and local - and actually cost LESS than a comparable chicken next door at Superfresh, not to mention it's a bajillion dollars less than buying the cut-up, skinned and de-boned chicken. For dinner I had a huge salad, and I couldn't even finish it because I was so full. I'll see how well I do in keeping this up.

Anyone have ANY idea how to cook a whole chicken? No, not going to do beer-can chicken. We only have bottles of beer, and if I were to buy one can of beer I'd have to buy a whole case. Welcome to Pennsylvania's stupid liquor laws.

2 comments:

m said...

I would recommend roasting or crock potting the chicken. Crock pot is pretty foul proof and easy if you have one. If not you can do it in the oven with some salt, pepper, garlic and maybe some veggies (remembered you do not like carrots).

Mel said...

I second what Meghan said! Also, rosemary and lemon compliments chicken very well so you could sprinkle some rosemary and then squeeze some lemon.