Friday, July 4, 2008

Happy Birthday, US of A...

For the first time since I've lived here, I'm spending the Fourth of July in Philadelphia, mere blocks from where our founding fathers signed that famous document 232 years ago today. I can't even imagine how freaking HOT it was on that day - a few dozen men crammed in a tiny little room in Independence Hall, all wearing powdered wigs and longstockings underneath their wool suits in the days before Degree anti-perspirant and air-conditioning - all waiting to risk their lives simply by signing a piece of paper. That piece of paper, written by Virginia's most famous and well-loved resident, not to mention my most famous ancestor, Mr Thomas Jefferson, said things that we now consider to be a no-brainer - that all men are created equal, that we are all entitled to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

Kudos, Mr Jefferson, thanks for the words.

John Hancock, as well as those that were in line after him that day on 5th and Chestnut Streets, were the first in a long line of those willing to lay down their lives if need be for a purpose that they considered to be greater than themselves. I saw a broadcast of a profile on a World War II veteran who was selected to be the grand marshal of today's parade in Millville, Pennsylvania, and as soon as the video becomes available, I will post it. It reminded me of how I was telling a friend of mine recently that I often think that I'm still single because very few men could ever live up to my granddad. While it's a cliche, I'm pretty certain that God broke the mold when he made him - the story I saw was additional proof that they just don't make them like that anymore.

But for now, here's another little tribute to our troops - when I came back from being abroad for a summer, this song was coincidentally playing on my iPod as the plane touched down on American soil. Still makes me proud to be an American every time I hear it. Like your fireworks today? Thank a veteran!

No comments: