Thursday, July 31, 2008

if you can read this, I got internet for 5 minutes.

I’m writing this from the beach, but it won’t be posted for a few days since I don’t have internet that I can depend on. Well, I can slightly depend on internet, but getting a wifi signal consists largely of sitting in a specific place on the deck and praying to the internet Gods that “NETGEAR” somehow works today.

Soapbox:
If you have a router for your internet signal, and maybe live in an area where poor students might live there, maybe you could be a good internet citizen and NOT encrypt your signal. I’m not saying you shouldn’t have firewalls and all that security jazz, but maybe just give away a little bit of bandwidth. Really, does Comcast’s CEO need ANOTHER yacht paid for by starving students, artists and vagrants? Before you get on your “I shouldn’t have to pay for some computer nerd’s internet” high horse, just remember that Open Source Code has been one of the greatest things in the development of the internet as we know it. What is Open Source Code? Basically, it’s someone doing something really hard (writing computer code – and I doubt any of us Georgia grads can do that with great proficiency like our Yellajacket friends), something for which one could make a lot of money – as did Bill Gates with a little thing called MS-DOS and Windows – and instead giving it to the internet FOR FREE. They gave you things like Napster, the least you could do to say thanks is maybe “forget” to password-protect your signal.
Off Soapbox.

Anyway, the week has been extremely good to us here at the beach. We’ve gotten some sun, played with Melissa’s little cousins/relatives, and managed to make a few bucks in the meantime. We’ve had great weather, and 6-hour days at the beach just about every day. I’m also happy to report that we’ve kept up our walking schedule and have walked at least 5 miles a day, with our biggest walk being from 56th Street all the way down to 20th. Round-trip, that’s 70 blocks for you mathematicians out there. We went to the boardwalk one night for some ice cream and bumper cars, went to the OD in Sea Isle one night, and we’re going back there tonight as Mr. Greengenes and $2 bottles are on the marquee. I can’t complain about anything during the week, it’s been a much-needed respite from the daily grind in Philly. I had a shore house last summer in Avalon, and I have to say – there’s something different about going to the shore when you’re going for the shore scene versus just going to GO TO THE BEACH. I don’t know how to explain it other than the fact that I’m far more sober this year than last. For those of you that remember me last year, I probably needed that summer-of-not-being-sober, but this summer has been quite different, yet welcome as a change. I don’t know if I’d have walked 5 miles on the beach last summer, gotten up at 9 to drag all kinds of stuff down to the ocean or enjoyed Melissa’s Mom-Mom’s meatloaf & fried chicken every night. But I did it this summer and thoroughly enjoyed it.

For those of you who are now scared that Molly has ceased to be fun, have no fear. I’m still here, just rebuilding cellular damage to various parts of my body. Specifically, my liver. But at any rate.


I also have managed to get a little bit of writing done…longhand. I’m scared at the thought of what has come out of my Bic Cristal Pen that has now lost a long battle to Ocean City’s sand. It could be a bunch of crap, but could turn out to be something decent. I guess my deciphering of my own handwriting shall tel

Since I’ve Looking forward to a fun night at the OD, then a fun last full day at the beach – we’re going back either Friday or Saturday.

1 comment:

Drena said...

glad you are well. we miss ya and hope you enjoy your last few days there.