Sunday, July 6, 2008

Finishing the sentence...

Found this in a magazine, I will fill it in myself to kill some time.

The house I grew up in... was an old house built in 1820, had a fireplace in almost every single room, was very busy, very loud and probably haunted.

When I was a child I wanted to be... an artist. My grandmother is one, and I wanted to be one as well for as long as I can remember. I used to go to her studio when I was young and I felt completely at home.

The moment that changed me for ever... in retrospect, probably the minute I set foot on the UGA campus for the first time. I didn't think I would change that much, but I don't think I even recognize that kid who left Lynchburg in 1997.

My greatest inspiration... is probably the myself that I'd like to be. I haven't really wanted to emulate any one person in particular, but I've always had an idea of where I want to go in life.

My real-life villain... a composite of those people which Julia Cameron calls "the censor" - those that make you think "wait, I can't do this"...sometimes its a family member, sometimes it's a friend, sometimes it's an enemy, sometimes it's a gut feeling that you're trying to stifle. The irony is that sometimes it's also my greatest motivator. You just have to acknowledge the censor and make it work for you.

If I could change one thing about myself... I'd stop cutting in mid-sentence all the time. I talk too much and interrupt when I'm super-excited about the conversation, but I know it pisses people off and I don't want it to affect me like that. Give other people a chance, Molly, you might learn something.

At night I dream of... strange things. I usually forget them the minute I wake up. I really should start keeping a journal by my bed again and just take the first ten minutes when I wake up to write - it really does spur creativity and start the day off on the right foot.

What I see when I look in the mirror... I'm pretty satisfied, and I think I've gotten better with age. But I always see room for improvement, and right now it's the fact that I desperately need a haircut.

My style icon.... just one? Since I'm the one answering the questions, I get one current and one from years past. Current - Sienna Miller. Very easy-going, bohemian style without looking like a dirty hippie and makes blonde hair and blue eyes fun again. Past - Grace Kelly.

My favourite item of clothing... Men's Hanes tank-tops, in the 3pack. They're so comfy, you can layer them and they look decent if you dress them up a little.

I wish I'd never worn... those stupid silver beads that every sorority girl wore back in the late 90's. I just hate them now.

It's not fashionable but I like... boot-cut jeans. I like the skinny cuts too, but I can't get out of bootcuts for long.

You wouldn't know it but I'm very good at... History. Ok, some people know it, I have a huge obsession with history. I am that dork that wants to read the signs on the roadside. I usually don't say anything, and I think I'm going to stop more often and see them.

You may not know it but I'm no good at... higher-level math. I still think maybe I should go audit a calculus class or something - it's not that I CAN'T do it, it's that it actually takes effort and studying. I was a student that just "got" everything else right off the bat, but math is challenging. Probably why I like it a lot.

All my money goes on... art supplies.

If I have time to myself... I paint and draw in front of the TV. Love it.


I drive/ride... I walk a lot. I think it's healthy and great for the environment and I feel better about myself for having done it. I am currently trying to find a Jeep Wrangler, however to actually drive when I have to do so.

My house is... lived-in. I love old furniture, lots of books, and a use for everything. It may not be un-cluttered, but I hate the "right out of a catalog" look - I like my house to say things about me and my personality.

My most valuable possession is... my easel. It was my grandmother's and it's big and beautiful and I don't think you could go and buy it off a rack anywhere.

My favorite building... in Philly: the Art Museum. Old, grand and welcoming. In Boston: any old Comm Ave rowhouse. In Atlanta: the Swan Coach house. In Athens: the UGA president's home. In Lynchburg: the Point of Honor.

Movie heaven... Love Actually, Breakfast at Tiffany's, Singles, and about a thousand others.

A book that changed me... Eat Pray Love. Tells you how to lose the BS and just go DO what you love.

My favorite work of art... I have about a thousand, I'm currently trying to pare it down to 100 to post up here. Overall favorite...one my grandmother did of me and a girl who I grew up with in about 1984.

The last album I bought/downloaded... I didn't BUY it (it was sent to me), but Neil Diamond's new album. AWESOME.

The person who really makes me laugh... Maverick Staylor. I'd never want to date him for other reasons, but he made me realize that I would never be able to marry someone unless they made me laugh on a consistent basis.

The shops I can't walk past... vintage stores, antique stores and used bookshops. I'm more like my maternal grandmother than I knew.

The best invention ever... sorry, TMI - Tampax and the Pill. Not just for my own use (because lets be honest, I'm not necessarily in need of the latter these days), but because they've liberated women in a bigger sense than many know.

In ten years time, I hope to be... content and happy.

My greatest regret... is having paid way too much attention to what people thought of me earlier in my life. It never got me anywhere, and I just ended up more unhappy with myself. It's quite liberating to say "see ya later" to those that don't agree with the way you want to live your life.

My life in seven words... Fun, creative, inspired, fortunate, observant, exciting, humorous.

1 comment:

Drena said...

good post. I may steal and repost sometime later.