Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Long weekend...


I just got back from a weekend in DC and Baltimore, whereupon I did not get one single glimpse of our new President. Sorry. I did not make it to the concert on the mall. In my 29 years of wisdom, I have figured out a few things, and among them is the realization that I have no earthly desire to see Jennifer Nettles and James Taylor feign like they're old pals via a jumbotron that isn't even visible from my vantagepoint, which is wedged between the Justice Department Building and the Immodium-AD sponsored port-a-johns, whilst freezing through 11-degree weather. Call me an old fart, but it's not my idea of fun, nor is it my boyfriend's.

We had a TON of fun at the wedding. We were noting that the true test of a "fun wedding" is how cool the bride is. She was awesome, of course, and it was one of the most fun weddings I've been to in quite a long time. The band was great, every single person was dancing like it was their job - even the people whose jobs WERE the wedding. There's about a thousand pictures of the bartenders just dancing up a storm by themselves, with guests, with the bride and groom, with everyone. Everyone had a blast.

I came back yesterday and woke up this morning to...a freshly-fallen blanket of SNOW on my lawn. Apparently Barack Obama got done with walking on water and turning water into wine before breakfast and decided to go fix global warming as his swearing-in present. I went to go to work and discovered that a fine sheet of ICE had formed on my driveway, and I ended up having to work from home today. It was a little nice, I could watch the inauguration while I worked, so I was glad for the "inclement" weather. It's truly amazing - I lived for SIX YEARS in snow that piled up in excess of FOUR FEET at a time. I was NEVER snowed in. One inch in Charlotte? I couldn't even get out of my driveway. I wish I could have taken pictures, but nah. I couldn't find my camera. After my long stretch of working from home, however, it's going to be both good and bad to get "back" to work in the office. I'm a little antsy, but I'm not exactly thrilled to be sitting in a cubicle all day.

Picture today? It's my friend's bouquet. Yes, I caught it. Really, you'd think that given how frequently these things fly into my hands, I'd have gotten hitched a long time ago. Seriously, I didn't even go up there to do it this time - I was purely walking over to tell someone good-bye as we were leaving, and the spotlights went up and they called for the single ladies. And then when I acquiesced and stood with all us spinsters and she threw it, I didn't even hold my hands up, it literally hit me in the face. Melissa P - I hereby give you the title of bouquet-catcher. I'm not anywhere near engaged, so I'm seriously beginning to think I'm becoming a bad omen for the bouquet-tossing tradition. Gorgeous bouquet though - cream-colored roses!

2 comments:

Drena said...

I'm an old fart too. We saw Dave Matthews at Piedmont Park about a year or two ago and I swore then that was my last gigantic concert. It was super crowded, hot, and a traffic nightmare. I was beyond exhausted.

Sounds like a fun wedding....too bad you couldn't come to mine. I think I was a cool bride too! :)

Mel said...

yes, Drena's was a blast! At least what I remember of it :-)

And thanks Molly, but I have caught a few myself....aren't only supposed to catch 3 before you are a spinster? I think that I have caught two...Terah's and my sister Jennifer's which was just a couple months ago so maybe that one will have some magic.