Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Antique Sunburst


That's the name of the color of my new guitar, as well as the title of my first pic for Melissa's natural light 325 project. Sorry Melissa, but I may have cheated a bit here. I actually took this with the internal iSight camera on my Mac, then I played around with it in iPhoto to make it look decent. To be fair, you DID say that the rules were just that you couldn't use a flash. I didn't use a flash, and I didn't touch the lights that were on in the room. I DID, however, crop, add saturation, warm the light temperature, reduce noise, add a bit of tint, up the exposure and increase the contrast.

That's what I've been doing tonight. I went and bought a guitar pick, a book and a tuner at Target - I was too scared to go in the Guitar Center or Musician's Warehouse or whatever because I always feel like I'm stupid in places like that where the employees LIVE that sort of stuff but I know nothing about it. It's the whole reason that I always try to help people the best way I can when I'm in the art supply store - there's a whole bunch of professional, expensive stuff, and it's overwhelming - the last thing I need is an employee making me feel like an idiot because I don't know something. Anyway, I came home and looked up a couple of websites and figured a few things out...like the fact that I remember NOTHING from when I played in my Creative Development class. I did finally get what I didn't seem to get when I did it last time - how exactly the fret board changes the pitch of whatever note/string you're playing. Sounds dumb, but when I actually figured out the physics of the fact that when you press down, the string gets shortened and produces a higher pitch than a bare string, I actually started to see what I was doing.

Anyway, I learned about that, then I attempted a few things until I got tired of it. I figured two chords out, and I practiced the damn things over and over and over and over. Baby steps. I can play them, but transitioning between them is next to impossible right now. I also am trying to figure out how to make my hand bigger - my hands are seemingly too small to play these things.

That's my music lesson for the day...hope y'all have a good night ;)

1 comment:

jayandcourtney said...

proud of you for picking up the guitar on that badass christmas gift. take your time with it, as it is frustrating. your musical background will probably help you tremendously. i'll be awaiting your first single ...