Sunday, November 2, 2008

moving woes...

I'm sorry I haven't posted in forEVER, but I've been...oh yeah, moving. It never seems to end. Even right now, I'm exhausted, typing this in bed, in fact, but I still feel like I didn't get enough done today. But overall, it's been a good week.

Some highlights:

I went to Meghan and Matt's to help Meghan hand out candy for Halloween (we only got about 10 trick-or-treaters, but it was fun) and we enjoyed seeing all the kids in their costumes. The cow was a popular one this year, and Owen was, in fact, the cutest cow. Caroline/Calamity Jane was adorable as well. Meghan and I sat on the stoop and caught up on the latest Mollytales, and Meghan got me to try her favorite candy. I NEVER thought anyone liked this stuff, but you know that orange and black wrapped taffy of unknown origin that everyone ends up having in their treat bag? Yes, you can thank Meghan. She is, perhaps, their strongest ally. It wasn't bad, I would probably eat it if my teeth weren't so awful already - it will pull your fillings out, it's STRONG taffy!

I did not dress up for halloween, but my cousin and I decided to go out on the town on Saturday to see our new town. We went out in NoDa (kind of a little artsy district, it's really cute) and had a few beers, where I saw what our Dawgs did. We're not talking about that one. We had fun, but we soon realized that after a hard weekend of moving, we just wanted to put on sweatpants, drink some boxed wine, and snuggle up with doggies over movies. After that, I talked to ... for a while (oh shut up, like y'all didn't already know, but send me an email if you don't), he's in Italy on business for a couple weeks and I had promised him a drunk dial. Thank God for international calling plans that his company pays for! I'm so jealous of him, he's enjoying Rome all by himself, living in the Trastevere for a few weeks, and just walking around the Collosseum for funsies. Wish he was here, but man, I wish I was there too! Thank God I can't find my passport these days, because I'd probably blow my last few hundred dollars on a trip over there to visit him if I could!

Today, I had a complete mollymoment. It was awful. I nearly cried, but it's hysterically funny now. My mom came to visit for a short time this weekend and stayed with her friend Sue. Coincidentally, Sue and my mom pledged DG together, so they're just two characters around each other. Sue's probably my other mother if I've ever had one. Anyway, Mom and Sue went to the Gaffney outlets and called me on Saturday to tell me that Pottery Barn was having this huge furniture sale. I am currently in need of a bed, as I can NOT handle sleeping on a full-size anymore. I want an iron bed, but don't really care if I have to sleep on a regular old frame. Mom said that they were taking 40% off the lowest marked price, which sounded great. So I trekked down to Gaffney (about an hour from Charlotte) this afternoon to check it out. They had some good deals, but I decided to wait and think on it. On my way out, I glanced in at Bath and Body Works, which was selling all that smelly stuff for $2 a pop or so. I got a couple of things, got to the front of the line, pulled out my wallet...

and noticed that the card was expired. I had been sent a new card recently, but hadn't cut up the old one yet. In my rush out the door, I had grabbed the old card. No big deal, I thought...I'd forego the lotion and go home. On the way to the card, it dawned on me. My gas gauge said I had 14 miles to empty. I was 60 miles from home.

OH. No.

My cousin Kate was halfway to Maryland to return her Dad's truck to him. I thought of everyone I knew in Charlotte. I didn't have any numbers for those who I knew were in town. Meghan, you might have killed me, but I would have called you had I had your number! All I needed was five dollars, and I had about thirty-seven cents. Thanks to the fact that I had cleaned out my car, I didn't have a checkbook or any other money. I called my mom, praying that she was still in the area. She was a bit north of Charlotte, but she said she'd call her friend Sue. I got off the phone with her and sat for a bit, and my mom called back and said Sue was coming. I definitely felt awful about it - she was about 45 minutes away. I dug through my purse again, and found my Hail Mary pass - a debit card from an account I thought I had closed back in Pennsylvania. I thought it was worth a shot, so I swiped it in the gas machine. It worked. I may get an overdraft charge, but I don't care. I pumped $20 worth of gas and took off home.

Yes, I cut up the old cards and stuck the correct one in my wallet. And I hid a bit of cash in my car in case it happens again.

1 comment:

Drena said...

I noticed your status on facebook went to being in a relationship.....I'm in the dark. Please fill me in.