Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Statistical Analysis 101

I know I make a typographical error every now and then, so I can forgive a few mistakes in the wonderful world of journalism. Statistics, however, are my little pet peeve. I hate it when writers use statistics to say something that the data isn't really revealing.

Case in point:

I was watching the news this morning and a story came on about wounded Iraq war veterans and how the VA is struggling to cope with the resulting rise in prescription painkiller addictions. This is in no way meant to be any commentary - one way or another - on the war. I'm not getting started on that, because I usually end up talking around people in circles. Don't get me wrong, I don't doubt that the idea of the story was correct - addiction to pain medicine is probably a very real thing among the wounded veterans. But here's the quote the very respected news organization used:

"Since the beginning of the war, prescriptions for narcotic painkillers have risen 600% among the military."

I'm no General, and I'm no Doctor, but I'd imagine that statistic is due to the fact that soldiers don't tend to get blown up and hurt as much in peacetime. Just a thought. I'd like to know how I can apply for a statistical analysis job where I'm praised for concluding that prescriptions for pain go up when rates of patients getting hurt goes up.

No comments: