Thursday, March 26, 2009

An old cowboy, ready to run a race, and a bit of a pickle.



The picture is from our trip to Texas, I had zero time to adjust the settings on my camera, but I liked the way it turned out anyway. Some old cowboy at the gas station in the middle of nowhere.

I'm running the 10k on Saturday in Quantico, and I'm driving up to Washington DC tomorrow. I ran my last 2 miles to train for it today, and if all goes according to my calculations, I'm going to run it in about 65 minutes. I ran 5.5 in Texas in scorching heat on Sunday, and I only slowed to a walk three times, twice to get water along the trail, once because I felt myself overheating.

Other than that, I've been getting back to work in the office. I worked about 30 hours the week I was gone, but the work still came piling in as it seemed to sense my absence. I am meeting with my boss to discuss this tomorrow, but I'm curious to hear what others outside my company would say. I'm basically one person that picks up projects ranging from filing and data entry all the way to writing legal contract language, albeit without a law degree. It's nice to have a variety of work, but I typically get projects from people when they realize that they can't get it done in time themselves. As a result, almost everything comes to me as near-urgent. I learned well in previous positions to ask people for timelines when I get assignments, so I ask 90% of the time, with the remaining 10% of the work being things that have a built-in understanding of a timeline. The problem is that I can't do everything all at once to get everything to everyone right away. In my previous experience, I was lucky enough to have secretaries or interns, but my company is structured so that each unit is small and I AM the bottom rung.

So, when push comes to shove, how do any of you react in this situation? When everything is urgent, nothing becomes urgent, correct?

2 comments:

Mel said...

Yeah, I have this problem all the time and I do have people to allocate to but they can only do so much themselves, you know. I have learned that most things are not urgent, people just want them to be so it takes a little figuring out of who is who....some people say everything is urgent but they really don't need it until days later, they just say that so you can be late and still get it to them by when they need it. Then other people really do wait until the last minute. Unfortunately, being at the bottom sucks cause you can't require people to get things to you earlier but I would be honest if you already have a full workload and tell them you can do it but it will be x day when it can be done....you will learn right then if it is urgent or not! Most times they will say ok...if they don't then you know it really was an immediate request (I find these are few and far between).

Mel said...

oh and love the pic!