Friday, March 13, 2009

626.55 miles of sucking wind.

Six hundred twenty six miles, nine hundred sixty eight yards.

Between February 23, 2009 and October 25, 2009, I will run exactly that distance.

Holy Crap.

I bought Hal Higdon's book Marathon this past week and was laughing at the chapters on why people decide to take the challenge on. People ask questions like "so how long is the marathon you're running?" (answer: 26.2 miles, same as every other marathon in modern times) and "you think you might win?" (answer: no, I will consider it "won" when I cross a bridge at mile 19, which means that they won't be able to tell me I'm not allowed to finish, and I don't care if I finish right after some 90-year-old snail, as long as I finish and get the damn t-shirt) and "is it hard?" (answer: go run right now and tell me it was easy after 26.2 miles) and Mr. Higdon, quite possibly one of the most insane members of our society ever to strap on a pair of sneakers, always has a funny response and way to motivate the other people who train with him. I'm not drinking the proverbial kool-aid, but I have gotten a few odd responses. Most have said it's a cool thing to shoot for, and most are sort of supposing that I'm doing it for Dan, seeing as it's the Marine Corps Marathon and all. Truthfully, while I'm extremely proud of him and would love to say that's what it's for, I don't think anyone runs 620-some-odd miles for anyone other than themselves. I wanted to do it because I enjoy a challenge - even though I enjoy bitching along the way - and because I'm sick of sitting around being the skinny-fat kid who weighs 100 lbs but hasn't ever been able to do a chin-up in her life. I don't think it's impossible - my mom ran marathons, triathlons, and ultramarathons when I was little, and I thought everyone's mom was a runner back then and that's what I would do when I grew up. Seriously, the woman ran a 50-mile race in the MOTHER-EFFING MOUNTAINS. AFTER THREE KIDS. I'm not getting to that level - EVER - but I do think she got a lot out of it when she did it. She seemed to really enjoy doing it, and she really seemed to like herself a lot because of it, even if she did pull in last - but finish - on that 50-mile race. So I grew up knowing that I COULD do it, and when I got older I figured out that it's just HARD. Now that I'm pushing the big three-oh, I figure I'd rather usher out my 20's in a much healthier fashion than the manner in which I entered. I don't remember the specifics, but I'm sure that my 20's were entered in via Sky's Place or a keg party at some fraternity house.

So anyway, that's why I'm doing it. You can follow my other blog with training info and watch my progress. If you'd like, feel free to come watch me and cheer me on in Washington DC on October 25, I will be the blonde with a 26.2-mile long cranky look on her face who needs a beer at the finish line. I don't think anyone I really know will be able to make it, but I don't really care, to be honest.

Mr Higdon, I have a new comment for your list of comments you get when you say you're going to do a marathon for the next edition of your book, courtesy of my friend Cara...
Cara: "So, running the marathon? Hmm. What made you decide to do it?"
Molly: "Just seemed like it was a good idea this year."
Cara: "When I hear things like 'I think I'll go run 26.2 miles', I am reminded of when JFK said 'looks like a pretty day for a drive' or when General Custer said 'there can't be that many Indians, right?' "

She was just kidding, but yeah, sometimes it feels like it.

No comments: