Friday, March 27, 2009

Bank of America, eff you.

This is why I hate banks right now. They're being bailed out and now they're all saying "we can help the little guy overcome this economy"...yeah, thanks to the hundreds of billions of dollars they were given to bail them out of the fact that they lent money to deadbeats. Case in point? Today's Gchat conversation between me and my boyfriend. Backstory: when I got my raise, my file was shifted from one temp agency to a sister temp-to-hire agency because the account had outgrown a temp status. Because the new one didn't recognize me, they kicked back my time sheet and sat on it for two days. As a result, I got paid today instead of Tuesday for my last paycheck. As a result of the fact that I had to pay bills the same week, I overdrafted my account EVER so slightly for less than 12 hours. Yes, I should have had the money, but seriously - money's tight. Especially when AirTran charges me more to fly my suitcase to Texas than they charged to fly ME to Texas. More on that one later, but here it is: what's wrong with consumer lending and banking, in a 2-page summary.

11:34 AM
me: I overdrafted by TEN DOLLARS TOTAL and BofA wants to charge me 3 fees of $35 each for it
Daniel: damn
me: for less than 24 hours

12:29 PM
me: ahhhh...I went to BofA in the rain and waited to talk to a "personal banker", whatever that means...they refunded part of it but I still have to pay $48 for overdrafting by $11 for less than 24 hours. I wanted to yell and grab all the lollipops on my way out.
me: if I borrowed $11 from you today, and when I took it back to you the next day I was told to pay $48 in interest charges, you'd be arrested for loan sharking. I fail to see how this is any different.
Sent at 12:49 PM on Friday
Daniel: hahhaha
i'm sorry pants
Sent at 12:51 PM on Friday
me: grrr
me: it's okay I'm just sick of chasing my tail if you know what I mean
me: the guy was like "well we can help you set up some savings so you don't get into this in the future" and I was like "well, since I don't have a JOB thanks to your lovely firm, after June, I will HAVE NO SAVINGS."
me: I love how when you go in with a very human and real concern, they a) say "I can only do what the computer lets me" and b) belittle you like you have no financial responsibility and then suggest a line of CREDIT.
Daniel: hahaha
Daniel: I called (edited: his credit union) when my car broke down yesterday to double check that I don't have towing coverage (I don't), and then she said, "would you like to add it in case of breakdowns in the future?" I said no, that I might just get rid of the car. Then she said I was preapproved for a car loan and would i like to..." and I basically said, "Hey lady, I'm on the side of f**king 95, why don't we discuss a whole range of products now. Can I refinance my f**king boat and get an adjustable rate jumbo loan right now as well?"
Sent at 12:59 PM on Friday

1 comment:

Drena said...

gotta love good ole corporate america. this is why my parents say you should have a personal relationship w/ a community bank. I don't yet due to convenience but it probably is good advice.