Friday, June 19, 2009

My week in tweets...

I'm awful. I know. I admit it. I also haven't called my mother nearly as often as I should, I've fallen asleep while on the phone with my boyfriend, I missed my brother's graduation, and my dog pretty much thinks I'm dead. I have no time because I'm working to keep a job I don't even have. I'm sorry. I don't deserve you as friends.

If you want to hear more of me, you can follow me on twitter, I'm @itsmolly. I'm also on facebook with the new vanity name www.facebook.com/mollypants.

Speaking of, a few things I've tweeted lately...my thoughts at the moment, in 140 characters or less:

1. Sold a painting for the first time since September. Is this a sign that the economy is on the rebound? Lord I hope so.
-Yes. Just to a coworker, but it counts, right? She said she wants one in particular, but since I'm not destitute for once, I might just trade her for a piece of her artwork (she's also an artist, probably why we get along so well), because I'm committed to never buying a mass-produced item to grace my walls. It's either my art or original art, no posters, no prints unless direct from a photographer. Good policy, in my opinion.

2. Any natural towheads have advice on mascara? Most only sell it in black or dark brown and it makes me look like a total hooker.
-For real. I have - yes, I swear - naturally blonde eyelashes. I hate the way mascara looks on me because they don't make it for my skin/eyelash tone. Still lost on this one.

3.
"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Gandhi. Wear green tomorrow. #iranelection
I'm amazed at the effect that twitter has had on the Iran election situation. It makes me happy to see people fighting for their freedom within the system set up for them. I feel horrible for the protestors - Iran is a very educated, prosperous and successful country, so these people really do have a lot to lose by protesting - but they are ruled by tyrants in a backward political system that restricts free speech. I can't tell you how fascinated I've been with how Iranian students and citizens have fought internet shutdowns, banding together to pass eyewitness observations, accounts, photographs and videos of what's happening. All through a simple networking device of 140 characters or less. I feel a little happy that people like myself across the world who retweeted news through these one-liners played an important part in it.
It's no longer the newspapers of Hearst's era dominating the field, but the Grady school grad in me was rather proud of the changing world of journalism. And yes, I wore green that next day.

4.
The Georgia Theater has gone up in flames. Where have you gone, Athens, GA, dawgnation turns its lonely eyes to you...
I can't even talk about how sad the Georgia Theater fire makes me. I can't even watch the news report on it. I absolutely refuse. It's the one train wreck I can't even bring myself to watch. Let's not talk about it, ok?

That's all. It's midnight, I'm sober, and it's Friday night. My eyelids are about as heavy as bowling balls after this work week.

2 comments:

m said...

Sorry you have been so busy. I am a partial towhead, but just keep using black to match my roots!

Can you remind all of us of your the website for your art? I think I am just about ready to have a portrait done of Owen so I can have his and Caroline's framed at the same time.

Mel said...

they have clear mascara..I used to use it on my lower lashes. I can't remember what brand it was but I was younger so I am sure it was one you could get at target...who am I kidding, I still buy most of my makeup at Target....it might have been maybeline :-)