Thursday, June 4, 2009

The Galloway Method...

I found this article today on the New York Times. I was pretty interested in it, given the training I'm in right now, so I decided to give it a try. For those of you who don't know, there's basically two main dudes who are older than dirt that write books on how to run a marathon - Hal Higdon and Jeff Galloway. I already have Hal Higdon's book, and I've gotten some good information from it - schedules, advice on shoes, how to correct your form, and a couple of other things. I hadn't really picked up Galloway's book, but I've always heard people saying things like "are you doing Galloway?" in line at the starts of races I've done. I thought the programs were basically the same, so I stuck with Higdon because, quite frankly, his is easier - run until you feel like you can't, and then walk, and then run when you catch your breath. Galloway's seemed a little more restrictive, but the article today made me wonder.

Here's the premise: you pre-determine intervals when you will walk instead of run, and you walk for a minute WAY before you're actually tired - in fact, EXPERIENCED runners will run a mile, then walk a minute. For EVERY mile.

Sounds like you'd end up with a 7 hour marathon time, but since I've been having some tendonitis, I decided to try it today on the treadmill. Today's run was 3 and a half miles, a good mid-week smaller distance. I normally HATE these runs. I hate them because I basically get bored and then I get winded. I push through the winded-ness, get a final burst of energy, and then almost collapse at the end and don't even want to make it through my cool-down walk.

So I tried it today, and after a 5 minute warm-up walk, I ran my first mile. At the end, I was NOT tired at all, and I almost pushed it to 2 miles before I did my 1 minute walk. I walked, though, and I have to say - I did feel better. I upped the speed on the treadmill and ran the second mile, and then walked the second break. Same thing - I felt a LOT better. I upped the speed a little more for the last full mile and then kept it steady for the last half-mile.

Verdict? I actually ran faster than if I had ran the whole thing. The entire 3.5 mile distance was done in 32 minutes, which is actually a little above a 9:30 pace. I DON'T run at a 9:30 pace. EVER. I was actually pretty shocked. Don't get me wrong - I can NOT keep a 9:30 pace for 26.2 miles, but I think I could do 10 minute miles if I have a one-minute walking break. Even the walking minutes add up, and that shaves a mile off the distance you'll have to run. I like the idea of looking forward to those little walk breaks, and I like that if I HATE running for that particular mile, I only have until the end of the mile til I get to walk again.

I think I'm going to buy the book tomorrow, I was at least glad that I had ONE day where I didn't completely dread my run. I'm still taking it one day at a time, and I like that this breaks it down even further - just finish the next mile.

And now I hate that I spent a ridiculous amount of time talking about running. I am NOT that kind of runner. I hate those people that only talk about running. I must remind you: I am a lazy person. I watch reality TV when I have cable, and I worked out approximately 2 times in 2008. Do not be fooled by the "I'm going to run an ungodly distance in four months" facade. I am still the same lazy, junk-food eating, carb-loving, vegetable-hating, sucking-wind-for-dear-life-when-she-runs-to-get-the-train girl you have always known and loved. Please bear with me until October 26, this will all be over soon enough.

1 comment:

Mel said...

I LOVE that Galloway method and let me tell you from experience...it is so much easier to start running again if you trained that way then it is if you trained running the whole time and then have to walk for some reason in the actual race. For my first race I trained where I ran the whole time (and I could do it at a 10 min mile pace). At mile 13 I was at exactly 2hrs 10mins..then I felt like I was going to puke and my leg started to bother me where I had an injury...so I had to walk. Starting to run again after I had run for 13 miles straight was HARD. I could do it but not easily. In races where I ran/walked the whole thing it was much easier to take a break when I needed to (leg hurting, huge hill that was not worth the energy, etc.). It is definitely not for everyone because some people like to feel that they 'ran the whole thing' but I like it. Why feel like shit at the end if you don't have to?