Thursday, April 22, 2010

largely just a vent.

I decided to start writing on this thing again, though I don't think anyone's really paying attention anymore. I don't even think this feeds into people's readers, which I could take the time to update and problem-solve, but frankly, I don't really care. Read it if you want. Don't if you don't.

Good pieces of news:
1. Dan gets home soon. Can't believe it's been seven months, give or take.
2. I have mostly finished decorating the house. Screw that, I've gotten two and a half rooms done. But I do have a comfy new bed that I got for about 10% of the price. Overstock.com and I just came together at the right time and the right place.
3. I have REALLY blonde hair again.
4. I like my job for the most part, and at this rate, I couldn't get laid off - there is ALWAYS plenty for me to do.
5. It's almost summer. It has been a long, cold, rainy winter.

Things that are currently driving me up a wall:
1. The lovely military can't seem to nail down a date. This is not my favorite topic.
2. My lawn looks like shit. And the gutters are clogged. And I have a big ass oak tree in my backyard that's inevitably going to cost me a ton of money to remove. Awesome.
3. Our company lost about 24 hours to this crazy McAfee corporate update that shut down mine and thousands of other computers - no access to anything, just the blue screen of death. While I took it in stride and realized that when that happens, there's nothing I can do, I had everything pile back up today when we were able to get it all fixed. One of my analysts had the foresight to unplug from the network as soon as they heard people were having problems, allowing him to work offline through the outage. Now I REALLY wish I had done that - man, what I would give now for 24 hours of offline productivity where no one is able to email me.
4. In general, work is insane. My latest insanity-driver is the fact that I need to find the building age for 200 commercial properties in four western states. I found a lot through tax assessor websites, but more than half these counties have either nothing online or they charge for the parcel maps, which they won't even promise has the age of the structure. Since my job is all about centralizing efforts to streamline costs, I don't exactly have funding to pay these government agencies to tell me the age of structures that my client ALREADY OWNS. It's like this most days...I'm just chasing my tail to find a needle in a haystack...one that's been found several times before, but should have been saved somewhere.

Well, hell.

I need to go grocery shopping.

2 comments:

m said...

I'm still reading! Happened to click today just in case and was happily surprised to see an update. YEA! Will check more often from here on out.

Sounds like you have some highs and lows. Hopefully when #1 clears up everything will seem much better!

jayandcourtney said...

hey, i still read too, granted a few weeks late.

we are taking down about 20 trees in our backyard (yes, i know ... hippies would be mad) ... some were dead and others were in the way of us having a nice backyard. my advice is to get as many quotes as you can. we finally found a guy who works with the landscaper we selected ... took the trees down for 1/4 the cost other guys were going to do it. he is legit, has insurance and great references. some of those guys are just looking for the work.

ask co-workers and friends if they have used anyone. same with the gutters. home ownership is a pain in the rear ...